Fostering genuine team spirit in the run-up to a Wellcome Trust Collaborative Award
Top tips for big multidisciplinary bids:
- Bringing the core team together for dedicated workshops can provide a necessary boost of energy and focus as the application drafting process gets underway.
- Even if there is a pre-application, keep the full application firmly in view and work out the detail of the project before submitting.
- When funders are open to discussing bids in their earliest formulations, take them up on this.
- Highlight the strength of existing collaborations in the team; bring attention to co-authored papers and other projects undertaken together.
- Assign question topics to team members before an interview.
The Wellcome Trust’s Collaborative Awards in Science offer up to £4 million for major research projects that can run for up to five years. The third and final 2020 round of the scheme closes for pre-applications on 18 August, with full applications due by 10 November.