Go back

How to do research with China

The University of Warwick's collaboration with the University of Science and Technology Beijing involves a guest professorship in China for Sridhar Seetharaman. He shares his experiences of research in the country.

I am effectively a guest professor on invitation from the president of the university in Beijing. My status there is more or less equivalent to faculty professor, so I can take on graduate students and supervise them. I was there for a month in the summer and am expected to go back for a similar length of time each year. They pay for all my costs and for carrying out research. I can decide what research projects to get engaged in, within the bounds of what they are interested in.

The funds for the Top Overseas Honorary Professorships come from the government’s education department but are associated with a university. For me, that is the USTB. The dean is a very old friend from when we were both faculty in the United States. I knew the Chinese research base in my field very well, and some of my past doctoral students and postdoctoral researchers are now professors in various institutions around China.

This article on Research Professional News is only available to Research Professional or Pivot-RP users.

Research Professional users can log in and view the article via this link

Pivot-RP users can log in and view the article via this link.