International alliance of funders offers $50m funding pot to tackle non-communicable diseases
- Ensure you check remit and deadlines with your local funder.
- All bids must be implementation-focused; check directly with the GACD if you are worried that your project idea is insufficiently so.
- Projects should look at common risk factors for multiple—not single—non-communicable diseases.
- Research should also focus on low- and middle-income countries or on disadvantaged populations in rich nations.
- Public involvement is a must.
The world’s attention has understandably been focused on infectious diseases over the last two years. But non-communicable diseases such as cancer, diabetes and heart conditions remain by far the biggest killers—accounting for over 70 per cent of all deaths globally, according to the World Health Organization.